A richer variation of my mother’s wonderful (if non-cheddarific) recipe.
Yield: 1 loaf
3 bananas, mashed
2 oz. (4 tablespoons) butter, melted
2 eggs, well beaten
1 3/4 cups flour (I used King Arthur Flour’s White Whole Wheat, but all purpose would work as well.)
3/4 tsp soda
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 cup sugar
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Cinnamon and sugar for dusting the top
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray loaf pan with oil.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the wet ingredients. Add the dry ingredients and stir to combine again. Add the cheddar cheese and stir one more time.
- Scrape the batter into a loaf pan. Smother with a good dusting of sugar and cinnamon, and put the pan in the oven.
- Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then remove from the pan and allow to cool until sturdy enough to cut or cool enough to wrap up and store.
- Next time I make this, I plan to try adding a cup and a half of cheese in search of the perfect cheese-to-banana balance.
- I only had two bananas this time, so I added a third of a cup of applesauce so that the batter was loose enough to stir.